A word about
One of the oldest in Scotland, Bowmore Distillery was established in 1779 by local merchant David Simson.Simson moved to the new village of Bowmore from Killarow around 1766. He was a farmer, a merchant, a postmaster, a sailor and most memorably – a whisky distiller. His arrival coincided with the expansion of the village after Daniel Campbell The Younger, the Laird of Islay, decided to build Bowmore as the island’s capital.The distillery today is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers. After having been part-owned by Suntory Ltd of Japan for some years, Morrison Bowmore was purchased outright by Suntory in 1994.